Here are just some of the comments about DEX’s work, and how your donation can make a big difference to a deaf child and family:
A) DEX’s service has been fantastic! For months I had been battling with the school and authorities on my own to get the correct support my child needs as a deaf child with additional needs. I really felt I had no support and was even starting to question my own convictions. As soon as i contacted DEX I had immediate intervention and promises to meet and attend meetings were never broken. I felt I had at last professional support and someone who completely understood my child’s case. The support was empowering and I know without it I would have a had more of battle in fighting for my child’s needs. A huge thank you! (Parent of deaf child).
B) DEX has just supported us through a difficult appeal in order to get the school placement we wanted, and helped us to win our case! We will always appreciate DEX’s input. (Parent of deaf child).
C) When I was being bullied, DEX came to my school and taught deaf and hearing children not to bully children in school. The bullies didn’t bother me after that. Also, my school had a box for children to put messages in if they were being bullied, and this was part of the policy. Thank you DEX. (Deaf young person).
D) DEX came to give a very powerful talk to us about the effects of mainstream education on deaf children – I had no idea that it was so difficult. It has made me realise, and think about how I will make sure they are included in future. (Trainee mainstream teacher).
You could make a donation that will help us with our campaign for:-
- a British Sign Language Act to ensure the implementation of a higher national standardisation of service for all deaf children
- all deaf children to be bilingual in English and British Sign Language
- parents and deaf children to be able to choose either a bilingual mainstream or Deaf school
- all specialist staff to have a minimum of Level 3 NVQ in BSL, or equivalent, and to be given training to achieve Level 6 NVQ in BSL
- to make sure the government follows up its announcement for BSL to be a national curriculum subject taught to GCSE level
- BSL and Deaf Studies/ History to be part of the curriculum in deaf resourced schools and Deaf schools
- All deaf children to be taught together in large groups in hearing mainstream schools
Please help us to achieve this, and more, by supporting our work.
You can send your donation by cheque, payable to the Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers Group, and post to:
Deaf Ex-Mainstreamers Group Ltd
7 South Parade
We receive Gift Aid which is a way for charities to increase the value of monetary gifts from UK taxpayers by claiming back the basic rate tax paid by the donor on the donation. It can increase the value of donations by a quarter at no extra cost to the donor.
Thank you to all our loyal supporters who have contributed faithfully since 1994. Your support means a great deal to us and has meant we have been able to continue this important work.